Login Register

Tributes to popular Chettisham garage owner Aaron Wisbey, 37

By Ely News  |  Posted: November 06, 2013

Comments (0)

Mystery continues to surround the death of a young father-of-two and talented martial artist from Ely.

Aaron Wisbey, 37, was a partner at Mercedes Benz specialists Stewart and Wisbey in Lynn Road, Chettisham, and was well-known in the Ely area.

He was found dead at the garage last Wednesday night and the cause of his death is still unknown.

Aaron had called his wife, Melanie, 34, at around 9.30pm to tell her that he was finishing off some paperwork and that he’d be home soon.

But he didn’t show up, and when Melanie couldn’t get an answer on his mobile phone or the garage’s phone, she dialled 999.

Police attended the garage and discovered Aaron, who was a black belt in karate, lying dead on the showroom floor.

Aaron, of Lumley Close, Ely, leaves his wife and two sons, Louis, 3, and Theo - aged just seven weeks.

His death has left his family, friends, colleagues and customers across the region devastated.

Melvyn Stewart, 59, Aaron’s business partner and who has known him for more than 20 years, said: “We’re all absolutely devastated by Aaron’s death.

“He was like a son to me.

“Aaron would bend over backwards to do anything for anyone. He was helpful and had a really good sense of humour - he loved to play the odd trick on people and was just one of those guys who everybody liked.

“Things will never be the same here again without him but his name will certainly always be above the door.

“Nobody knows how Aaron died. Police have confirmed that there were no suspicious circumstances and a post mortem showed no obvious cause of death.

“Everyone is baffled as he was such a fit young man.

“His death has obviously rocked his family and friends but also people from across the country - the amount of calls we’ve had has been unreal and customers have been breaking down on the phone.

“Our thoughts are with Melanie and Aaron’s family at what is an extremely difficult time.”

Forensics teams have examined the garage and a spokeswoman for Cambridgeshire Police have confirmed that Aaron’s death is not being treated as suspicious.

His death is now being handled by the coroner.

Plans are now being made for Aaron’s funeral and although Mr Stewart says it will be “extremely difficult”, Stewart and Wisbey will still continue to operate.

Read more from Ely News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters