14:32 Monday 19 May 2014

Clearing bees' nest sparks fire in Manea

Written byCHRIS HAVERGAL

A homeowner inadvertently set his chimney alight when he tried to set fire to a bees’ nest.

Firefighters were called to High Street in Manea just after 11.20am on Sunday, and found “waxy conditions” caused by the nest made the blaze “very difficult” to extinguish.

Station commander Richard Dykes said: “If homeowners discover a bee or wasp nest in their chimney or at the top of it, we would urge them to get it inspected and removed by a professional.

“Lighting fires is not an effective way to clear these nests and we would encourage people not to do this.”

Latest News

  1. Could you be a Community Champion in the Ely area?
  2. SIXTEEN more Fire Brigades Union strikes over ongoing pensions row
  3. Ely and District Cats Protection is overrun with cats and kittens and pictured is cat fosterer Jackie Green with one of the kittens she is looking after. Ely and District Cats Protection at bursting point
  4. Police issued 88% more speeding fines in 2012 than the year before - but only 62 motorists were fined for breaking the limit in Cambridge's 20 zones Traffic officers will patrol accident blackspots in Cambridge area to crack down on speeding drivers
  5. A Jack Russell Terrier, similar to Ellie. Pensioner speaks out after accidentally crushing dog to death in reclining chair